More quick start info is available here.
- Disable and quit any and ALL other apps or scripts you may have been using to start the fah client.
- Pick a low demand screen saver such as Computer Name in System Preferences
- Delete the Folding@home screen saver, if present (in "/Library/Screen Savers" or "~/Library/Screen Savers")
- Be sure you have no cron jobs, /Library/StartupItems, Login items, or Terminal.app prefs
which try to start any folding@home clients. (You can check for other cron jobs by
using menu item Tools > Show crontab)
- If you have an unusual pre-existing folding setup (using something other than just
~/Library/Folding@home with official stanford app or screen saver), please read the entire FAQ section.
- Have an active internet connection so InCrease can download the folding
client for you (if you use a proxy, you may have to do this manually)
- If you want to fold full-time (and why wouldn't you?), ensure the following
preferences are selected in Energy Saver of System Preferences:
- Put computer to sleep when inactive > NEVER (display and hard drive can sleep)
- Restart automatically after a power failure (not available on all machines)
- In Preferences > New Units, choose a unique folding@home user name, using this page to check.
(Or you can simply fold as user Anonymous for now, but you can't transfer completed work credits to another user name.)
- Pick a folding team, if you are so inclined. There are many teams to
choose from. You can even create your own team. Or you can fold as the anonymous team 0.
- Verify your other preferences in InCrease, particularly your desired Local Group, which will be created if it does not exist.
- Close Preferences
- use menu item Groups > Create Local Group (this used to be the Install step)
- You may now Start folding. Welcome to the cause!